There are a lot of things you need to keep in mind when using neodymium magnets. These magnets are the most popular kind of rare earth magnets made from an alloy of neodymium, boron and Iron. They are very strong magnets and find a variety of uses in various fields.

When you buy these magnets, there are several things you need to keep in mind when it comes to the safety of operating these magnets. Since these magnets are powerful, they are also very dangerous when handled by someone who does not know what he or she is doing. Here are a few things to keep in mind with regards to safety.

Before you read up on safety, it would be better to find out all you can about neodymium magnets at

Swallowing the magnets

Magnets can be very dangerous and should not be treated as toys. Children should not be allowed to play with them. Make sure that these magnets are kept away from children and also pets as they are a swallowing hazard and can get stuck in the intestine. This has some painful consequences.

Conduction of electricity

Magnets are known for conducting electricity. This is something that all engineers and scientists know, but might not be common knowledge for someone who has not read on the subject. Do not put the magnet in contact with an electrical socket as it can lead to a large, potentially fatal surge in electricity.

Make sure your magnets and your electrical sockets are as far away from each other as possible.

Metal objects

These magnets can attract metal objects such as knives and scissors. So, before working on the magnets, clear your work area of any dangerous metal objects.

The larger the magnet, the more powerful it is. Neodymium magnets are made of compressed powder, and so they tend to get into fingernails where they can be very harmful. This problem can cause a lot of damage to the body in the form of contusions or bruises by getting in between the fingernails and so on.


Sometimes, mishandling the magnets might lead to bone fractures. So make sure to handle these large magnets with care.

Pacemaker operation

Neodymium magnets interfere with the functioning of pacemakers, which are used to regulate the heart and are absolutely essential to people with cardiac problems.  Pacemakers when brought close to these magnets often go into test mode. This might cause them to stop working and you know that if pacemakers stop working, then it can have some really fatal consequences.

You should also make sure that any defibrillators are not present near the magnets because they often cause interference and this leads them to stop working. Keep all electrical items away from the magnets.

Navigation devices

Strong magnets often create magnetic fields that can interfere with navigational devices in your car or even on an airplane.

The one thing you need to make sure of is the fact that a magnet is not a toy. You should respect that fact and handle the magnet with care. Any form of negligence can lead to a lot of damage and harm being caused. So keep these things in mind before you handle any magnets.